The Web Site of the 1928 Gaff Cutter Yacht Emanuel
Taking Emanuel into the 21st Century.
ga('create', 'UA-45971267-1', 'auto');
The Restoration… and beyond
Fore part of the hull stripped out with the planking seams leaking daylight in abundance. Port side garboard removed
Work beginning on the replacement of the coach roof, to the original design.
Since November 2013 Emanuel has been out of the water with the mast lifted out for a well earned 26 year heavy overhaul. Work includes removal of stem head fittings and chain plates for re-galvanising, removal of internal lead ballast for bilge inspection and repainting, removal of 25 years of topsides paint, removal and resetting of the stern tube, new prop shaft removal of keel bolts (which is done routinely anyway) and much else.
All being done as the atrociously wet weather of this winter allows. At least Emanuel escaped the storm surge of last December - the Environment Agency having just completed our part of the flood defences for Sandwich. Sandwich itself was not so lucky, as their part of the work was programmed out of the tourist season and had barely been started. The lower parts of the town suffered accordingly.
Emanuel was returned to the water on Wednesday 16th July 2014 - and was ready for sea just 2 weeks later. 8 months out of the water and the summer sun was beginning to show it’s drying work on the sunny side planking.
Ashore and paint stripped off the topsides, ironwork ready to go for re-galvanising and standing rigging after heating and working of industrial lanolin into the lay of the wires.
Left: Minor repairs to the stem head.
Above: One of the keel bolts.
Right: On the way to the water
16th July 2014.
|Newfoundland & The Faeroes|
|Gallery Page 2|